Friday 12 July 2013

The Photography Institute Course - The Course and Module 1

As I mentioned in my first post, I've recently commenced The Photography Institute's course.

What attracted me to the course
- the fact that the whole course is based online, where I receive an extensive module handbook for each section and then complete the assignment and submit online. With full time work, I really dont have the time to attend any classes, this course lets me work at my own pace, and although I'm only on module 2 I'm really enjoying the course and already learning a lot!
- the course has both practical and theoretical elements
- the course is aimed to beginners and more advanced users, though having recently completed the first module, I would really recommend some prior knowledge of working with SLR cameras (although you can complete the course with a compact camera if you dont own an SLR which is nice)
- you can contact your tutor via e-mail whenever you need help with anything on the course
- you receive extensive feedback on each assignment, and the tutor is very encouraging!

First Module
The first module is mostly theory based, this may be a little gruelling to those who want to get straight in hands on, but I found the module to be very informative and the language is pleasantly straight forward. It gives you a succinct technical understanding on the history of cameras, it also goes into basic aspects of photography, different format cameras, different lenses, filters and their uses etc. It's a great introduction if you're just getting into photography.

The assignment consisted of several hypothetical situations, where you had to select from a rather nice extensive list of kit (if only I had so many lenses) which pieces of equipment you would use for each scenario and why.

I have to admit some of the scenarios were completely new to me, and although I found the assignment challenging I was very pleased to get 9/10 on the first module.

you can find more info on the course and download a prospectus from here. I will try and do a more extensive review once I finish the course, and I'm sure I'll continue to share my opinions and some of the work I've submitted along the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment